WESTFIELD, Mass. – Worcester State junior quarterback Noah Brum (Honolulu, Hawaii) threw for 238 yards and three touchdowns to lead the Lancers to a 34-10 win over Westfield State at Alumni Field on Saturday afternoon.
September 23, 2017
Score: Worcester State 34, Westfield State 10
Records: Worcester State (3-1, 2-0 MASCAC) | Westfield State (0-4, 0-2 MASCAC)
The Lancers jumped out to a 21-0 lead in the first half. Brum connected on a 40-yard scoring strike to Dan Orlando (Westborough, Mass.) with 5:35 left to open the scoring. The Lancers padded that lead to 14-0 midway through the second quarter when Bruce Johnson (Fitchburg, Mass.) forced a fumble from Owls' quarterback Jake Cassidy (Lynn, Mass.), with the ball taking a perfect bounce into the hands of Mike Quinn (Sutton, Mass.), who scampered 16 yards to the end zone for the touchdown.
The Lancers extended the lead to 20-0 with a short field, scoring on a 15-yard pass from Brum to Kharif Pryor (Brooklyn, NY) in the back corner of the end zone for the lead with 1:11 left in the half.
Westfield gained a measure of momentum, with R.J. Darby (Norwich, Conn.) blocking the extra point try after a bad snap foiled the Lancers' timing, and defensive back James English (Lynn, Mass.) scooped the loose ball and rambled 90 yards down the left side for the defensive two point conversion.
Westfield cut the lead to 20-10 with 4:54 left in the third quarter. The Owls' Leo Clinton, Jr. (New London, Conn.) capitalized with a tipped ball interception that set Westfield up at the Lancers 12-yard line. Freshman fullback Ben Geschwind (Granville, Mass.) powered in on the first play from scrimmage, and the Owls added the two-point conversion as senior Tyler Robbins (Southwick, Mass.) rushed the ball in on the "swinging gate" try.
Worcester's Dexter Andrews (Boston, Mass.) added a two-yard TD run early in the fourth quarter to cap the scoring.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Andrews finished with 75 yards on 20 carries.
- Orlando led the Lancer receivers with 82 yards on seven catches with the two TD's.
- Quinn led the lancers with nine tackles.
- Worcester outgained Westfield 394-205 on the afternoon.
- Brum tossed touchdown passes of 40, 15, and two yards to fuel the Lancers' win.
- Sophomore quarterback Cassidy led Westfield with 59 yards rushing on nine attempts, and completed 11 of 27 passes for 92 yards.
- Westfield's sophomore wide receiver Evan Garvey (Dalton, Mass.) caught eight balls for 69 yards.
- Defensively, the Owls got 15 tackles from senior linebacker Zach Howard (Spencer, Mass.), who also recover a fumble and returned it 11 yards. Clinton added 11 tackles, and senior safety William Tejada (Princeton, Mass.) made 11 stops and added his fourth interception of the season with an 18-yard return.
Westfield State falls to 0-4, 0-2 in the MASCAC. The Owls will be back in action next weekend, traveling to Bridgewater State for a noon kickoff. Worcester will host Plymouth State in another MASCAC game next Saturday.
Release Courtesy of Westfield State Sports Information