PLYMOUTH, N.H. – The Worcester State University men's ice hockey team came up short, falling to Plymouth State 4-3 in a Saturday evening in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) contest inside the Hanaway Rink.
January 6, 2018
Score: Plymouth State 4, Worcester State 3
Records: Plymouth State (10-3-1, 6-1 MASCAC) | Worcester State (10-2, 5-2 MASCAC)
Plymouth State's Matt Volonnino (Hackettstown, N.J.) produced the first goal of the game as he placed the puck past Worcester State's goaltender, Josh Reinstein (Woodland Hills, Calif.) with a wrist shot succeeding a pass from teammate Ryan Stevens (Colleyville, Texas) 4:07 into the game. Worcester State answered with a goal when Tim Drevitch (Oxford, N.J.) scored a shorthanded goal in the 11th minute on a helper from Andy DeAngelis (Poughquag, N.Y.).
Tied 1-1 going into the second period, Drevitch scored again 2:16 into the frame on assists from DeAngelis and Ryan James (Katy, Texas). Drevitch bounced the puck off the cross bar and in for the 2-1 gain. The Lancers held the lead for eight minutes until the Panthers' JR Barone (West Chester, Pa.) knotted the score at 2-2 on a helper from Brett Backman (Cos Cob, Conn.), stuffing the puck near post. The lead reversed four minutes later when Plymouth's Volonnino scored his second goal of the game after receiving passes from Chris Zuccaro (Hudson, N.H.) and Victor Bergstrom (Angelholm, Sweden) and fired a wrister nearside.
Plymouth State held a 3-2 edge going into the final period. The Panthers extended their lead in the 10th minute of the frame, as Ludvig Steenberg (Stockholm, Sweden) took a shot and Alec LeFave (Hudson, N.H.) found the rebound for the insurance goal. Worcester State battled back and was able to score one more with an extra skater on the ice. Drevitch notched his third point of the game as he slipped the puck to Cody Weaver (West Greenwich, R.I.) who shot through traffic high glove side for the 4-3 score. With 35 seconds on the clock, Plymouth State held off Worcester State and secured the 4-3 MASCASC win.
INSIDE THE DIGITS
- Plymouth State's Volonnino and Worcester State's Drevitch each had two goals on the occasion.
- Drevitch led all offense with two goals and an assist, while DeAngelis earned two assists in the setback.
- Plymouth State outshot the visitors by a 42-26 margin.
- Plymouth State's goaltender, Evan Morelli (Reading, Mass.) earned the win in net, stopping 23 shots in the 60 minutes played.
- Worcester State's Reinstein suffers his first loss of the New Year in a 38-save performance.
- Neither team was able to take advantage of power plays as Worcester went 0-for-2 and Plymouth went 0-for-3.
- Earlier this season, Worcester State edged Salem State 3-2 in the opening MASCAC game on October 31.
Worcester State hits the road again on Thursday, Jan. 11 when they face Framingham State in a 7:30 p.m. MASCAC matchup.