BRIDGEWATER, Mass. – Worcester State University's Elmer Acuna (Newton, Mass.), Edward Boamah (Worcester, Mass.), Justin Lewis (Lynn, Mass.) and Marcus Vieira (Peabody, Mass.) were all named Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) Outdoor Track & Field Champions in their respective events on Saturday, as they led the team to a third place finish.
April 28, 2018
1st Place: Bridgewater State (257)
2nd Place: Westfield State (171)
3rd Place: Worcester State (113)
4th Place: Fitchburg State (87)
5th Place: Massachusetts Maritime (16)
WORCESTER STATE TOP PERFORMERS
- Elmer Acuna: 1st Place in Shot Put (15.65m/51-04.25), 2nd Place in Discus Throw (43.83m/143-09)
- Edward Boamah: 1st Place in 200 Meter Dash (22.30), 1st Place in 400 Meter Dash (49.08)
- Justin Lewis: 1st Place in High Jump (2.09m/6-10.25)
- Marcus Vieira: 1st Place in Hammer Throw (52.42m/172-00), 3rd Place in Discus Throw (42.39m/139-01), 8th Place in Shot Put (13.46m/44-02.00)
- John Ojukwu: 2nd Place in 100 Meter Dash (11.30)
- 4x100 Meter Relay: 2nd Place (44.19): Zachary Poitras, Edward Boamah, Michael Butten, John Ojukwu
- Ryan Connolly: 3rd Place in Triple Jump (12.93m/42-5.25), 7th Place in Long Jump (6.01m/19-8.75)
- 4x400 Meter Relay: 3rd Place (3:39.17): Marques Johnson, Jeffrey Davis, Omar Cordova, Zachary Poitras
- Anthony Christo: 4th Place in Hammer Throw (43.95m/144-02), 7th Place in Shot Put (13.47m/44-02.50), 11th Place in Discus Throw (32.53m/106-09)
- Jacob Roumanos: 4th Place in Shot Put (13.91m/45-07.75), 7th Place in Hammer Throw (37.05/121-07), 9th Place in Discus Throw (35.76m/117-04)
- Markiesh Harmon: 4th Place in High Jump (1.88m/6-02.00), 4th Place in Triple Jump (12.92m/42-04.75), 5th Place in Long Jump (6.38m/20-11.25)
- 4x800 Meter Relay: 5th Place (9:33.02): Patrick Donahue, Brayan Chavez, Patrick Scheeler, Christian Vera
- Marques Johnson: 6th Place in 800 Meter Run (1:59.66)
Worcester State University's Acuna was tabbed the MASCAC outdoor shot put champion as he matched his college best of 15.65m (51-04.25). He also claimed second place in the discus throw with a personal record of 43.83m (143-09). Also scoring for the throwers was MASCAC hammer throw champion, Vieira, who marked a top distance of 52.42m (172-00) in the event. He also scored in the discus throw (3rd place) and competed in the shot put. Anthony Christo (Peabody, Mass.) and Jacob Roumanos (Whitman, Mass.) each recorded a fourth place finish in the hammer throw and shot put, respectively.
Lewis won the high jump for 10 points as he marked a height of 2.09m (6-10.25). With this result, he captured both the MASCAC and Alliance title.
Worcester State's Boamah was a two-time MASCAC Champion, as he earned the 200 meter dash and 400 meter dash titles. He was also the Alliance Champion in the 400 meter. Worcester State's John Ojukwu (Stow, Mass.) came in second place in the 200 meter dash.
Ryan Connolly (Braintree, Mass.) logged a third place finish in the triple jump and matched his personal best of 12.93 (42-5.25), and Markiesh Harmon (Leominster, Mass.) took fourth place in both the high jump and triple jump.
Marques Johnson (West Hartford, Conn.) scored a point for the Lancers in his sixth place finish in the 800 meter run (1:%9.66).
Next weekend, the men's team heads to MIT for the Division III New England Championships.