NEW LONDON, N.H. – The Worcester State University women's volleyball team extended its winning streak to nine with a pair of wins over Colby-Sawyer and Eastern Nazarene in a tri-match played inside Coffin Field House on Saturday.
October 7, 2017
Coffin Field House
Record: Worcester State (14-6)
WORCESTER STATE 3, COLBY-SAWYER 0
Worcester State notched a .274 team hitting percentage to down the Chargers of Colby-Sawyer by set scores of 25-17, 25-20, and 25-18 in the first match of the day.
Worcester State took the first lead of the day when they took advantage of two Charger attack errors. The Blue and Gold held a slight advantage until Colby-Sawyer knotted the game at 7-7 with Morgan Flynn (Reading, Mass.) at the service. The first set saw four more tied until Worcester State went on a 6-0 run with Katrina Kangwijaya (Dunstable, Mass.) at the service to attain a five point lead. After trading points, the Lancers ended up on top on an Amari King (Lawrence, Mass.) service ace.
The Lancers jolted out a quick 12-4 lead in the second set, though, Colby-Sawyer fought back and got within four on kills from Courtney Murray (Quincy, Mass.). The teams battled back-and-forth, however Worcester State was able to seal the deal with kills from Allie Nolan (Melrose, Mass.) and Emily Carens (Northborough, Mass.).
Worcester State dominated to start the third and final set, until the Chargers came back with an 8-4 run to get within two. Worcester State however, pushed away again on kills from King and attack and service errors from Colby-Sawyer.
- Worcester State was led by King's 18 kills as she was the only player to reach double digit kills. She hit .375 and added 10 digs.
- Stephanie Chapin (Hampden, Mass.) hit an impressive .538 and finished with seven kills, two blocks and five digs.
- Megan Leavens (Storrs, Conn.) chipped in a match best 16 digs, while Allie Nolan (Melrose, Mass.) contributed 31 assists and five kills.
- Colby-Sawyer received nine kills from sophomore Naarah Cox (Boston, Mass.) and senior Alli Lahiff (Haverhill, Mass.).
- Murray added eight kills and eight digs for the Chargers.
- Colby-Sawyer's sophomore setter Olivia Goodrich (Epping, N.H.) recorded 28 assists, while junior Nicole Olivieri (Salem, N.H.) and Flynn had 13 digs apiece.
WORCESTER STATE 3, EASTERN NAZARENE 1
After winning 12 straight sets in the past two weeks, the Lancers saw their first set loss in the second game of the contest with Eastern Nazarene. Though, the Lancers prevailed and won 3-1 (25-16, 22-25, 25-19, 25-10).
Despite the Lancers attaining a 25-16 win in the first set of the contest, the Lions came back with a 25-22 win in the second set, breaking the Lancers' 12-set winning streak. In another close match in the third set, the Lancers were able to come through with a 25-10 win in the fourth set to seal the pair of victories on the day. The Blue and Gold concluded the day with a 14-1 run with Nolan at the service.
- The Lancers were once again led by King as she piled up 23 kills and 18 digs in the match. Carens posted 11 kills.
- Leavens collected a match best 29 digs, while Nolan ran the offense with 46 assists.
- Eastern Nazarene was led by nine kills from sophomore Courtney McCarthy (Merrimack, N.H.). She added a team best 15 digs along with senior Oksana DiCamillo (Eighty-Four, Pa.).
- Eastern Nazarene's setter Kayla Dean (Lansdale, Pa.) tallied a double-double of 30 assists and 13 digs.
The Lancers volleyball team returns to action on Tuesday (Oct. 10) when they host Salem State in a 7 p.m. MASCAC matchup.
Portions of this Release Courtesy of Colby-Sawyer Sports Information